Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fear

I discovered something new about myself. Maybe I knew it deep down but never vocalized it. I was walking the dogs tonight and thought about the upcoming and next weekend and what I can accomplish on my big to-do list. I met a potential new friend a couple weeks ago @ Panera for coffee. She's a fan of KOSU and I wrongly assumed that means liberal. She and I are going next weekend for a coffee & Farmer's Market "date", and now my [irrational] fear is she is not liberal and may be religious instead. Not totally unfounded fear - I looked up her Facebook profile tonight and her political views say "middle of the road" (that's totally ok), and religion as "Christian." (mmmmm). Amazing how I have a difficult time "accepting" most religions, although I will listen to whatever anyone has to say as long as they listen to my views as well.

... I am trying to remain open to meeting new people, and I'm not saying we can't be friends. But, it can be a little difficult living here AND working at a public radio station, thinking that every NPR fan is liberal when indeed they are not. I have met liberal thinkers here too, I guess I just need to nurture those more (not for lack of trying ... Scott, Ron, Jamie, Charlie, Adam). My fear then about this new friend becomes, what if I am getting into something I want to get out of? And that is also probably why I am never in a committed "relationship". I'll keep ya posted on my fear of commitment!

No comments:

Post a Comment