I meant to mention if I didn't already (the days and words run together the past few weeks), I have found what I think may be a good therapist here. Your words of encouragement and urgings to talk to someone about all the family stuff I've been dealing with have been so helpful. I told her (her name is Dr. Dancer, a neat name) I hadn't been to a therapist in a couple years, but it dawned on me, it's been longer than that. Anyway, it's the first psychiatrist I've been to - I've been to a spiritual counselor, a psychologist, and a "regular" therapist, but I don't believe I've seen a psychiatrist.
It has been such a relief already even after just 2 visits to be able to vent my sister and brother-in-law frustrations, and have someone to talk to about how to handle these things, how I feel so pressured to "do" things for people all the time, the guilt that I'm never doing enough, etc. The first visit happened right after all the events with Mom, so that has been the focus of our conversations, and how my family has reacted, or helped, or not helped, how exhausting it's been, etc.
A silly thing: it helps she commented on my new red shoes (ha), and yesterday, she had the exact same skirt I have - and I told her, "I know women probably don't like to hear this, but I have the exact same skirt!" She said, "well, we both have good taste." Silly but it made me feel good, ha!
These chats have reminded me of how much support I received in NC, and how much I lost my support network when I moved. And I don't mean I lost each of you, but more that not living there, I don't have as much "access" to your friendship and support. Anyway, I appreciate each of you, and hope you have a good weekend.
Friday, September 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment