Finally, good weather in Okla. At least for a little while! I have been SO busy with so many things and way behind on emails, Facebook, etc. I think that's good, but I'm pooped.
A couple weeks ago, I decided to attend my first "Sustainable Stillwater" business meeting, which is the recycling group that is starting to make things happen here. We already had several recycling bins/areas throughout the town, but now we have a very nice recycling center, central to downtown, and it's so much nicer than the other older areas. Anyway, it was a good meeting. I am just trying to "find my way" and find something I want to participate in. I have not been sure I wanted to get "involved" too much with the community. But I'm finding I feel better about things, life, myself, when I do.
The radio station just finished up another pledge drive. Drives are always 8 days of intense fun, exhaustion and emotions. Another thing I decided was that my bosses are human, and while they make really horrible management decisions and are not the best managers, they are truly passionate about what they do and it's for a good cause, a good service to the community. The station is truly loved here and it comes through in all the member comments I read, people I talk to. I asked the staff if we could pool together and show our appreciation for the 3 bosses in some way. The station is celebrating 55 years on the air, so we tied into that and got a beautiful cake with our 55th anniv. logo on it, and the script read something like, "Kelly, Rachel and Dan, we appreciate all that you do to make KOSU what it is today. Your KOSU staff." We gave them each a $50 gift card to local restaurants, and I invited about 30 volunteers and major donors to join us. We had about 25 people crammed into the studio to surprise them after our last on-air pitch. I think they were really surprised. As for looking for other jobs, I keep an eye on what's out there but I'm staying where I am for the moment. I look at other jobs here and I just can't see anything I would be passionate about.
On a separate note, Adam and I are doing pretty well. We've had moments where I think (and we've said) we are kindred spirits. And it's great when I think that way and when we have those moments. But I have a few doubts I'm working through with my therapist (who is really great but I think VERY conservative). One of the toughest things is that he smokes pot, a lot. I am pretty certain daily. I'm just not used to it, and it does affect our conversations a bit. He may grow out of it, but I'm not certain of that either; I think it's just a part of his lifestyle and who he is. I told the doc, I'm trying not to judge ... thinking, how is that any different than my drinking wine or beer. I guess the difference to me, and what I struggle with is the addiction part of it. His smoking (cigs and pot), his eating habits and lack of activity. He's been really wonderful though so that makes decisions extra tough.
I am currently working on two paintings, one of which is for his company doing a silent auction in 2 weeks to benefit his org. I've started sketching it but nowhere near complete. The other one is one I haven't worked on since last Fall and painted on it last night, hoping to finish it soon.
It's sunny but cool right now - I'm sitting out on the front porch for the first time in a long time. I'm hoping to go for a hike at Lake McMurtry later today if it's warm enough. I think it might be 70?
Oh, the other news.... I stopped taking Ambien. Two years of that. It was a bit of an accident ... I was taking muscle relaxants and pain pills for my back, so I was taking those and they helped me to sleep so I didn't take Ambien anymore. Took the last of the muscle relaxants last week, so I'm on nothing and my sleep pattern is showing. This week, waking up at 3:30 and 4:30 a.m. Eventually I fall back to sleep but not for long before I have to get up for work. My hope is this is temporary but I don't really know right now, too early to tell.
Well, I need to get started on the rest of my day. I hope all is well with you all. I sure miss my NC girlfriends!
Love, P
Saturday, April 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment